Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, and Learning (MEAL)
Gain the skills and confidence you need to effectively design, plan, and manage MEAL systems for development and relief projects.
Created by NGOs for NGOs, MEAL DPro improves MEAL skills across the humanitarian and development sector. This course covers the essential skills of NGO monitoring, NGO evaluation, accountability and learning.
What will you learn
- Design logic models that later become the foundations of MEAL in projects. These tools include the Theory of Change, Results Frameworks, and Logical Frameworks (logframes).
- Plan for MEAL using practical tools that include Performance Management Plans, Indicator Performance Tracking Tables, Summary Evaluation Tables, etc.
- Collect MEAL data by using well-designed qualitative and quantitative data collection tools, appropriate sampling methods, and recommended data management practices.
- Analyze MEAL data by using quantitative (descriptive and inferential) statistics and qualitative methods to analyze, interpret and visualize MEAL data.
- Use MEAL data to inform project decisions, communicate with stakeholders and practice adaptive management.
Who should attend
- Project team members responsible for program implementation. This includes project managers, program managers, and other project associates.
- This course also provides an opportunity for more experienced team members to strengthen their understanding of specific MEAL topics. This includes entry-level MEAL specialists and more experienced MEAL staff who can use MEAL DPro resources to create a common language for MEAL systems among colleagues and partners.
How will you learn
Strategia Netherlands’s self-directed and focused trainings put the learner first. Connect and engage with peers from around the world, while learning through a series of engaging videos, assignments and readings. An expert facilitator will guide you.
The platform is open for a set number of weeks, and you can log-in to work at your own pace whenever convenient. You’ll find our learning platform easy to navigate, with clear guides and instructions.
Each week, the following module will become available. To proceed to the next module, you’ll need to earn points for completing various tasks (such as watching videos, reviewing resources, and interacting with others). The more tasks you complete, the more points you’ll earn.
We estimate this training requires 2 hours per module (8 modules in total), depending on your pace of learning, and previous experience.
- Start with an overview of MEAL.
- Introduction to MEAL in Projects
- Components of MEAL, and the MEAL cycle
- Benefits of a strong MEAL system
- The relationship between MEAL and project management
- Ethical standards and cross-cutting principles of MEAL
- The focus begins with logic models.
- Logic Models
- The role of logic models in establishing a strong foundation for MEAL
- Theory of change
- Results framework
- Logical frameworks (logframes)
- Look at how to build a logframe.
- Building a Logframe
- Vertical and horizontal logic of logframe
- SMART indicators
- Measurement methods
- Assumptions in project logic models
- Dive into how to plan for MEAL; start with M&E tools.
- Planning for MEAL Part 1: Monitoring and Evaluation Planning Tools
- Performance monitoring plans
- Data flow maps
- Indicator performance tracking table
- Evaluation summary table
- Evaluation terms of reference
- Continue with accountability and learning tools.
- Planning for MEAL Part 2: Accountability and Learning Planning Tools
- Communication plans
- Learning plans
- Find out to collect and manage MEAL data.
- Collecting MEAL Data
- Data collection tools
- Explain the basic principles of sampling
- Data management
- Databases and data entry
- Data quality
- We show you how to analyze MEAL data
- Analyzing MEAL Data
- Quantitative data analysis
- Descriptive statistics
- Inferential statistics
- Qualitative data analysis
- Data interpretation
- Now you’ve got all the data, we show you what to do with it!
- Using MEAL Data
- Adaptive management
- Data visualization
- MEAL reporting and communication
- Learning from MEAL data
Upon completion, Strategia Netherlands provides a certificate of attendance for this course.
Pricing and Discounts
The total fees for this Course is 500 Euros per Person
Strategia Netherlands encourages teams to attend this course together.
We offer a 10% discount for groups of 5 or more to attend this course.
To register for this course send an email to: Workshops@strategianetherlands.nl