Certificate in Gender and Humanitarian Action
Human displacement created by conflict, ethnic cleansing, and politically induced famine often emerge unannounced, rendering it difficult to plan for in the first instance. Responding to humanitarian emergencies is fraught with difficulties from the outset. In any crisis, different genders and different ages of people are prone to suffering in different aspects and therefore, the kind of help to be given to these different categories differs across the lines.
Women and young girls are vulnerable to sexual violence while their male counterparts are likely to be killed as they are seen to propagate violence. On the other hand, the old cannot take care of themselves and even run away. Adopting a gender-sensitive approach to humanitarian situations is important in ensuring all needs of the different age sets and genders are met.
This course is aimed to equip learners with skills on the importance of addressing gender matters and the approaches to be inculcated in executing the same. Tools to be used in ensuring equitable distribution of justice and help across the divide are also discussed in detail and gain a deeper understanding of the Inter-Agency Standing Committee (IASC) Gender Marker which is a key tool in humanitarian action.
- Key concepts, policies and the legal framework of gender and humanitarian action
- Sex and age as tools for analysis of gender in humanitarian action
- Inter-Agency Standing Committee as a gender marker
- Application of gender-sensitive approach in mitigation of segregation based on gender
- Protection of transgender individuals
- Evaluation of gender across selected clusters in terms of age and sex
- Gender-based violence and humanitarian action
After they have read the material for each unit, students are expected to test their own learning by completing some relevant exercises and tasks.
In order to demonstrate their understanding of the course content, students will be required to submit three assignments.
All materials are made available through our online learning platform
Course duration: 3 months
Course fee: €500
Regions targeted: Global
Language: English and French