Certificate in Community Based Disaster Risk Management
When a disaster strikes, if not addressed well, they can render an organization, community or even a country dysfunctional. It only takes few minutes to bring down developments that have been made over many years, funds, as well efforts. With the ever-increasing magnitude of the effects of disasters due to climate change, urbanization, industrialization and terrorism, disaster risk management should be embedded in organizational culture and structures.
This course explores disaster risk management concepts and practices using practical examples at international up to individual level.
- Principles of risk and risk management
- The concepts and definitions of risk and risk management
- Enterprise risk management
- Risk assessment, identification, analysis and evaluation
- Risk responses and risk treatment
- Risk management standards
- Practice of risk management
- Risk and organizations including an introduction to corporate governance, project and operational risk management.
- Organizational risk management, emerging risks and future developments
- An overview of the global business and risk environment
- Risk culture, appetite and tolerance
- Risk architecture, strategy and protocols
- Building community capacity to promote the culture of safety
After they have read the material for each unit, students are expected to test their own learning by completing some relevant exercises and tasks.
In order to demonstrate their understanding of the course content, students will be required to submit three assignments.
Course duration: 3 months
Course fee: €500
Regions targeted: Global