Certificate in Shelter and Settlements in Emergency Situations
The aim of this course is to discuss the relevance of providing accommodating shelter and even settlement in cases where natural disasters happen. As the number and complexity of disasters grow, governments and international organizations are making great efforts in increasing their technical and financial preparedness in addressing disasters whence reducing risk and vulnerabilities as well as adapting to changes in climate.
This course aims at equipping learners with skills and knowledge on how to respond to the needs of shelter when a natural disaster happens.
At the end of the course, learners are expected to have garnered skills and practical expertise on shelter and settlement policies, methods, tools, and procedures in the humanitarian system.
- Practical knowledge for shelter and settlement design, planning and programming in disaster, crisis, and developmental setups
- Shelter cluster system
- Creating shelter needs assessment plans
- Evaluation of the roles of humanitarian actors in promoting sustainable and resilient shelter
- Operations of humanitarian agencies in post-disaster situations
- Scenarios demonstrating cultural, environmental, and social awareness and the ethical practices relating to shelter
After they have read the material for each unit, students are expected to test their own learning by completing some relevant exercises and tasks.
In order to demonstrate their understanding of the course content, students will be required to submit three assignments.
All materials are made available through our online learning platform
Course duration: 3 months
Course fee: €400
Regions targeted: Global
Language: English and French