Post Graduate Diploma in Water Resource Management
Water resources are generated by the natural system, which include atmospheric, surface and sub-surface processes. The natural system is impacted on by the social system, which is mainly characterized by human intervention on the environment. The interaction between these two systems determines the quantity and quality of water resources both spatially and temporally. Water sustains all life forms thereby making it a basic requirement for livelihood needs. In the event of diversifying water use to include domestic, agriculture, industrial, energy, transport and recreation among others, the natural system has been overstretched to the extent that it can no longer sustain the water resources potential required to meet the increasing demand without managing it effectively. The effective management of water resources requires understanding of the environmental processes so that their impacts can be mitigated for sustainable use of the resource.
This course will enable learners to appreciate the relatively new and unique interdisciplinary approach to managing water resources, water supply and sanitation services, wastewater treatment and urban water infrastructure projects. Programme participants will be nurtured to become effective managers equipped to understand complex water challenges and to develop interdisciplinary, practical solutions to water and sanitation problems.
- Introduction to water management
- Collaborative Water Planning
- Urban Water Design
- Water and Sanitation
- Catchment and Aquatic Ecosystem Health
- Geographical Information Systems (GIS)and Water Resources Mapping
- Community Water Development
- Climate Change and Water Resources
- Water and Sustainable Development
- Water and public Health
- Effects of Poor Sanitation and Waste Management
- Household Water collection, Treatment, storage and Handling
- Water Pollution
- All materials are made available through our Online Learning Platform
- Students should commit approximately 5-6 hours of their time per week
Online delivery of curriculum materials, exercises and templates.
In order to demonstrate their understanding of the course content, students will be required to submit assignments at the end of every month.
Regions Targeted: Global
Courses Fees €1200
Course duration: 1 year (2 semesters)